The NFL Combine kicks off this week and NFL will be there in full force to poke, prod and test the prospects on hand. Unfortunately, it is also a time where some bad news can arise for players during the process with the discovery of undiagnosed injuries. Injuries can also derail players for other reasons by preventing them from working out.NFL Draft. Today, the agent for California wide receiver Keenan Allen announced that his client would not work out in Indianapolis after aggravating a knee injury during a Florida workout session.
For Allan, who missed three games late in the season due to the sprained knee, this could affect his status on draft boards. Yes, the 6-3, 195-pound junior will go through medical evaluations, he will not go through any of the drills or run his all-important 40-yard dash until a campus workout at Cal in April. While it is not expected that Allen will blow people away with his deceptive straight-line speed, a 40-time in the 4.4 to 4.45 second range could have solidified his spot inside the top 20.
At this point, the setback to his PCL injury does not appear serious, as reports are he has received a sound check-up by famed surgeon James Andrews, the dynamic playmaker should be able to recover for missing this event, but there is always a chance that another wide out could seize the opportunity in his absence.
Allen, who is experienced both inside in the slot and outside, has enough tape to show his natural abilities, return skills and solid hands at the major college level. Sadly, without this workout, questions will remain about his place in the NFL until he can workout for scouts and show his timed speed.
- Be sure to "like" Steelers 101 on Facebookand to follow Steelers 101 on Twitter
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebookand to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- NFL Draft 2013: California Wide Receiver Keenan Allen
- 2013 NFL Draft – Wide Receiver Prospect Terrance Williams – Baylor
- 2013 NFL Draft: Tennessee Wide Receiver Cordarrelle Patterson
- NFL Draft 2013: West Virginia Wide Receiver Tavon Austin
- 2013 NFL Draft: Jasper Collins of Mount Union Among 2013 NFL Combine Snubs
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/qan