The 2013 NFL Draft is chalk-full of impact players on the defensive side of the ball, specifically along the the defensive line. Of all the linemen available, Florida defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd is right at the front of the list. It is expected that Floyd will be a top-10 pick, but he could find himself in the top five come draft day. The Jacksonville Jaguars could take him with the No. 2 pick, while the next three teams (Oakland Raiders, Philadelphia Eagles and Detroit Lions) are also viable options for a Gator who chose to make himself eligible following his junior season.
The 6-foot-3, 303-pound Floyd has experience at both defensive end and defensive tackle, having spent his first two years at Florida on the outside before moving back to his natural position this past season. The fact that he also played on special teams — blocking two kicks in the process — gives him added versatility, which could make him even more desirable to many teams.
During his junior season, Floyd tallied 46 tackles, three sacks and a team-best 13 tackles for loss. In the end, his gaudy statistics were good enough to make him an All-SEC first-team selection, as well as a first-team All-American. All of these achievements are thanks to the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania's rare combination of power and speed.
Floyd is a high first-round pick, and the fact that he still has so much to prove and is continuing to grow with each and every game makes his potential downright scary. ESPN's Mel Kiper, Jr. and Todd McShay often disagree when creating their big boards for each draft, but that has not been the case for Floyd, who is near the top on both of their lists. Thatcertain fact should certainly speak for itself.
- Be sure to "like" On The Clock 101 on Facebook and follow On The Clock 101 on Twitter.
- Be sure to "like" Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter.
- Be sure to "like" Magic 101 on Facebook and to follow Magic 101 on Twitter to read more of Josh McKinney's work.
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- 2013 NFL Draft: Marcus Lattimore of South Carolina to Be Ready for 2013 Season?
- 2013 NFL Combine: Aptitude Test to Join Wonderlic Test in Scouting Process for 2013 NFL Draft
- 2013 NFL Draft: Jasper Collins of Mount Union Among 2013 NFL Combine Snubs
- 2013 NFL Draft: Will Luke Joeckel of Texas A&M Go First Overall?
- 2013 NFL Draft: Georgia Linebacker Alec Ogletree Charged with DUI
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/q8s