For some scouting departments, wide receiver Keenan Allen from California will provide a challenge to place come draft day. Yes, there is a lot of tape to go through and break down, but scouts and general managers love to be wowed at the combine in shorts and t-shirts and unfortunately, Allen will likely miss the event due to injury.
After breaking down the tape, they will see a wide out somewhat like Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant. Allen should be another candidate to come off the board somewhere in the middle to end of round one, especially to a team that runs a West Coast style offense. Of course, the 6-2, 215-pound junior’s knee injury (PCL) will have to checkout medically for that to happen.
Yes, he does not have blazing speed and will not blow past a cornerback ala Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace; he has the athleticism and deceptive speed to be a mismatch on the outside. He is a dynamic playmaker with good hands, solid route running, and enough top speed to make an impact. More importantly, he is versatile, with experience in the return game, outside and in the slot; something that could pay dividends for his stock during this scouting process.
While he is not a tremendous route runner, in many ways, he is more experienced and polished than Tennessee wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson, who he is likely battling for the top receiver spot. If he proves healthy, Allen could be the first wide receiver off the board.
- Be sure to "like" On The Clock 101 on Facebook and follow On The Clock 101 on Twitter
- Be sure to "like" Steelers 101 on Facebook and to follow Steelers 101 on Twitter
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Help with the Hurricane Sandy relief effort. Text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10 to go towards the Red Cross Disaster Relief.
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- 2013 NFL Draft: Tennessee Wide Receiver Cordarrelle Patterson
- Four Wide Receivers That Could Hear Their Name Called on Day One of the NFL Draft
- 2013 NFL Draft: Will Tyler Eifert of Notre Dame Be the First Tight End Off the Board
- 2013 NFL Draft: Jasper Collins of Mount Union Among 2013 NFL Combine Snubs
- 2013 NFL Draft: Marcus Lattimore of South Carolina to Be Ready for 2013 Season?
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/pv4