Yesterday we detailed how Texas A&M left tackle Luke Joeckel has a good chance of being taken first overall in the 2013 NFL Draft by the Kansas City Chiefs. Today, we are going to take a look at another tackle with a chance of going early, Lane Johnson of Oklahoma. Like Luke Joeckel, Lane Johnson is a tall, athletic tackle that has faced some talented defensive ends throughout his collegiate career, suggesting he will be able to succeed at the NFL level. He isn't quite Luke Joeckel, but some NFL team is going to draft a very talented lineman this April in Lane Johnson.
Lane Johnson did himself a big favor by attending the Senior Bowl. After a great week of practice against the best prospects from around the country his 2013 NFL Draft stock has gone through the roof, making the Oklahoma lineman a likely first round selection. Where exactly he lands in the first round is fluid, as it will depend on team needs and there are a lot of outside factors, including other prospects, for players outside the Top 10.
At 6'6", 303 lbs., Lane Johnson is the right size, though he will probably look to fill out a bit more. What makes him unique is that he was a junior college quarterback before transitioning to left tackle at Oklahoma. Lane Johnson has great athleticism and great feet, plus long arms. He's an ideal pass protector at left tackle. Just as we said with Luke Joeckel, he's the stereotypical left tackle in that he's not a punishing run blocker. Lane Johnson could also afford to get a bit stronger to help deal with bigger defensive ends.
However, Lane Johnson has some competition from a smaller school product for the title on No. 2 tackle in the 20123 NFL Draft. Central Michigan left tackle Eric Fisher will be competing with Lane Johnson for that spot, and may actually be slightly ahead at this point. It's still early, but it's a race worth watching. We will take a look at Eric Fisher tomorrow.
- Be sure to "like" On The Clock 101 on Facebook and follow On The Clock 101 on Twitter
- Text "oneteam" to 20222 to donate $10 to the One Team for the Lights charity initiative.
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- 2013 NFL Draft: Will Luke Joeckel of Texas A&M Go First Overall?
- 2013 NFL Draft: Marcus Lattimore of South Carolina to Be Ready for 2013 Season?
- Manti Te’o Girlfriend Drama: Impact on His 2013 NFL Draft Stock?
- 2013 NFL Draft: Army Quarterback Trent Steelman Drawing Interest
- Tyrann Mathieu: How Does the Honey Badger Fit into the 2013 NFL Draft?
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/pcg